Utilities diversion, protection and relocation
Client : RTA
Consultant : Systra / Parsons
Value : AED 412 Million
Duration : December 2005 – August 2009
Location : Dubai
Every infrastructure project planned in the middle of an active city is poised to encounter and mitigate various risks, mostly in relation to existing underground utilities. The Dubai Metro project was not an exception.
The detection, protection and eventually the diversion of existing utilities was a challenging and critical task for NBHH especially where the underground metro stations, cut and cover tunnels, or piling foundations had to be constructed. The latter construction activities had to be carried out while minimizing the disturbance to the end users and Dubai residents.
In that respect, our company managed to overcome all the different challenges, whether foreseen or unforeseen, for a project duration that spanned for three and half years.
SCOPE OF WORK
• Obtaining No Objection Certificates (NOC) fr om the relevant government departments
• Preparation of shop drawings and method statements
• Trial pits, often by hand digging for initial identification and inspection
• Temporary works such as shoring for deep excavation, dewatering, saw cutting of asphalt
• Reinstatement of roads and pavements
• Supply of all materials and pr ovision of all necessary equipment
• Relocation and protection of existing underground pipes of diameters from 100 mm to 1400 mm for various
kind of utilities such as water, sewerage, stormwater drainage, irrigation etc… Including construction of manholes,
chambers and connection to existing networks
• Relocation and protection of existing underground cables and ducts for electricity (ADWEA) and telecommunication
• Micro tunnelling and directional drilling for underground crossings and the installation of cables, ducts and pipes